- ► 2011 (11)
- DEAR DIARY " WHAT IS A HYDRAFACIAL?"
- "DEAR DIARY IS HOT YOGA THE NEW FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH?...
- "HOW TO BE FABULOUS ON A BUDGET"
- SNEAK PEAK BEHIND THE SCENES AT C-HEADS MAGAZINE S...
- MY BEAUTY PICKS OF THE WEEK!
- FALL FASHION TRENDS: THE "IT" BAGS ANS SHOES OF TH...
- GLOSSY MAGAZINE ISSUE 7: FEATURE INTERVIEW LAQUAN...
- ▼ November (8)
Tuesday, November 23, 2010
"DEAR DIARY IS HOT YOGA THE NEW FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH?"
I'm a huge fan of Hot Yoga. I have been practicing for ten years. I have tried all other kinds of workouts from Pilate's to having a personal trainer. I have found that hot yoga is not only an amazing workout but it has so many health benefits that can keep you looking and feeling young. I am in my late 30's and I am mistaken for being in my early 20's all the time. I have found that the more I go to yoga the younger and healthier I feel and look. I rarely get sick. When I do get a cold it lasts for less then a week. I have also found that yoga has become more than just a workout it has become a lifestyle. I decided I want to share my personal fountain of youth with all of you! I have put together a comprehensive list of all the benefits of hot yoga and listed more resources on where to take yoga and where to get the best hot yoga clothes.
Top 10 Health Benefits of Hot Yoga:
1. Weight Loss and Muscle Tone-the strenuous exercise in the heat burns more calories than a regular workout and helps to increase the metabolism which burns more calories even when you are not working out. The postures use body strength for balance which helps to build lean toned muscle.
2. Flexibility- the stretching in hot yoga helps you to become more flexible and less prone to injury and can actual heal existing injuries. I have herniated discs in my neck, sciatica and had torn ligaments in my right knee all from being a former ballerina. I now am virtually pain free and haven't had another injury.
3. Detoxification-sweating in the hot dry room helps the body to detoxify helping the major organs to work less and is AMAZING for the skin!
4. Increased Immune System-exercising in a heated room increases body temperature which helps to fight off infections and create a strong immune system which prevents the onset of disease.
5. Blemish-Free Skin- the detoxification process during hot yoga benefits the skin by keeping skin clear as well as moisturized and glowing. The skin is also more hydrated from the increased amount of water that needs to be drank in order to perform hot yoga. I'm a huge fan of Zico coconut waters which have increased electrolytes and lots of vitamin C which all creates an antioxidant effect for the the skin. www.zico.com
6. Increased Brain Function-working out in the hot room increases will power, concentration and focus. All these benefits result in increased functioning of the brain
7. Natural Anti-Depressant-the amount of endorphins that are released in a hot yoga session help you to feel energized and happy. I like to call it the "post yoga high" I feel so amazing after yoga and the feeling lasts the more and more I practice. I used to suffer from panic attacks and depression and was on medication for years. I'm happy to report I am medication free and panic attack free with yoga!
8. Natural Face Lift-yoga can help prevent wrinkles and produce a natural face lift from doing inverted postures like headstand and shoulder stand. It's also helps to increase blood circulation to the face and help tone the muscles of the face like the muscles of the body.
9. Improves Sleep/Wake Cycle-in hot yoga we do specific postures that are designed to help increase a more restful sleep. The stimulating effect yoga has on the nervous system and the brain help with insomnia. I was also an insomniac for years since I was a little girl. I always had trouble falling asleep or staying asleep and now after yoga I am out as soon as I lay down and sleep a full eight hours and sometimes if my schedule allows more!
10. Spiritual Practice/Connection-hot yoga really helps with self realization. It creates and amazing mind, body spirit connection. one to heal mentally,physically and emotionally. I have found hot yoga to be the best therapy in town!
So if you are intrigued and want to learn more about hot yoga check out these sites:
www.bikramnyc.com if you are in NYC this place rocks! Check out teachers Georgia and Emily some of my faves!
www.jerseyshorehotyoga.com if you are near the Jersey Shore Check out teachers Ann, Jill and Chris AMAZING! Studio is immaculately clean and so peaceful!
Now let's talk wardrobe! It's all about wearing cute, fun functional clothes. You will sweat like you have never sweat before and it is important to have absorbent clothes. I LOVE LOVE LOVE K. Deer Haute Yoga Wear. They have the most amazing colorful shorts and headbands. I even had some pairs custom made!